I have reviewed a few things on here before but none can compare to what I am about to tell you about. I was not asked to review this product either. I read about this program from the S-O-S. Research Blog who was asked to review the program and then give it away to one of their readers. And guess what… I actually won it! (You can read Danette’s review by clicking on the S-O-S link above.)
I was thrilled and my son Jay was beyond excited to try it. We were not disappointed either.
I loved this program so much that I contacted the Social Skills Training Institute and told them that I was going to write an unsolicitated review and that I would love to offer another new Family Kit, like the one I received but was not about to let go off (Sorry guys but that is how much I love this) to one of my lucky readers. Guess what… they agreed. So I will be announcing how you can win this incredible over $300 value program (although I am not sure how you can possibly put a price on what it actually does for your child) later.
First I want to tell you about it.
The program which was created by Disney-skilled animators and was a finalist for the Australian Interactive Media Industry Association Educational Game of the Year, uses both human and animated characters. The premise of the game is that your child has been accepted into the International Secret Agent Society Headquarters to begin training as a Secret Agent. In order to progress through the program they must complete several missions. WHile having fun they are actually learning A LOT! Including:
- How to recognise emotions in themselves and others.
- How to express feelings in appropriate ways.
- How to cope with feelings of anger and anxiety.
- How to start, continue and end conversations and play activities with others.
- How to tell the difference between friendly joking and mean teasing.
- How to manage bullying.
- How to cope with making mistakes.
- How to handle new situations and ask for help when needed.
I could go on and on and write more stuff… but I thought showing you a sample of Jay playing it would be better. Check this out.
In the clip above Jay lost in the plane battle because he chose the wrong emotion. It is not an easy game. I really learned a lot about my boy. Things I did not know were a problem I realized we needed to work on. For example he had a hard time recognizing the difference on a person’s face between distrust and confused. Even my NT daughter enjoyed playing the game, when he allowed her. (I love how he told her to back off during the clip. Too funny!)
Jay did make it through the missions. He did not get everything right but the game allows for this so as not to frustrate the player. We all know how our Little Aspies can get when they don’t get something right away. We had some moments of frustrations but they never ever turned into a meltdown and he never did want to stop playing. He was so excited to complete the program and to be awarded his medal as a Special Agent (which also came with the family kit.)
For more information on this incredible program visit the Social Skills Training Institute Website at: http://www.sst-institute.net
GIVEAWAY TIME**********Okay so here is the part you all have been waiting for… how you can win you very own Brand New Special Agent Society Social Skills training Program Family Kit which includes:
- The Secret Agent Society Cadet Handbook, which includes a Secret Agent Journal in which children can record how they use their SAS skills in real life.
- The Secret Agent Society Parent Workbook, a handbook which provides parents with a summary of what children learn in the program and tips on how they can help their child use these skills in everyday life.
- The Secret Agent Society Teacher Tip Sheet Pack, which contains information sheets, questionnaires and monitoring forms to help school staff support children’s social skill development.
- The Secret Agent Society Gadget Pack, which contains full-colour illustrated skill code cards, a code card holder, stress ball, Emotionometers (emotion thermometers), sticker sheets, an ID tag, Fact File cards and a graduation medal.
- The Secret Agent Society Computer Game
- And drawstring satchel bag for kids to carry and store it all in.
So here is how you can win it: As a mandatory entry you must leave a comment below stating what your Secret Agent Name would be. Example mine would be Agent M (for MAMA of course.)
Want extra chances to win? Do you following and then come back here and leave a comment saying you did.
-Enter my Surviving Time Island Virtual World Fun Pack Giveaway ( 1 entry)
– Like Mama’s Turn Now on Facebook (1 entry)
-Follow @MamasTurnNow on Twitter. ( 1 entry)
– Tweet the following message ( 1 entry for every tweet) on Twitter: I just entered to win a Special Agent Society Social Skills Program Family Kit #Giveaway from @MamasTurnNow http://wp.me/p1pu3Q-as
– Subscribe to Mama’s Turn Now. (1 entry)
– Place a button for Mama’s Turn Now on your blog and/or a text link on your blog roll. Post a comment with your blog’s URL. (1 entry for button; 1 entry for text link)
One winner will be randomly selected from the qualified comments received by Wednesday August 31, 2011, at 11:59 PM EST. Please leave an email address on one of your comments. Winner must respond within 72 hours or another winner will be drawn. Contest is open worldwide!